The SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics (“SIB”) is an academic, non-profit-making foundation recognized of public utility, organized and existing under the laws of Switzerland. SIB is highly committed to protecting the privacy of your information. Please read the following to understand how your personal data will be treated.
- The personal data that we collect;
- The purposes for which we use such information;
- Your choices regarding our use of it.
2. The information we collect about you
When you interact with SIB through our websites or via e-mail, we receive personal data relating to you or to someone we deem has authorized you to provide this information to us.
Typical cases where we collect your personal data include when you:
- Register for an event organized by us such as, but not limited to, SIB Courses, SIB PhD Training Network, SIB Fellowship program, SIB Events, SIB Awards;
- Apply for a position at SIB;
- Subscribe to one of our newsletters or publications;
- Fill in a contact form on a SIB website such as, but not limited to, ExPASy.org, SwissDock.ch, wiki.sib-sib.ch or lists.isb-sib.ch;
- Interact directly with us via e-mail.
The Categories of personal data collected include the following but depend on (and therefore vary for) specific cases:
- Phone details;
- Professional and personal address;
- Job function and employer details/institutional affiliation;
- Gender and nationality:
- For recruitment purposes: CV, copy of the passport or official identity document, certificates, performance assessments, reference letters, and similar information;
- More generally any data entered into SIB web forms.
- IP addresses (an IP address is a number that can uniquely identify a specific computer or other network device on the internet) from visitors to our website.
- For several of our pages we use Google Analytics to keep track of navigational access statistics such as number and duration of visits/sessions, region/country/city of origin, etc. cf. www.google.com/analytics for more details.
3. How we will use the information about you
SIB uses your personal data for a limited number of purposes connected to our mission including the following:
- Providing you with information about our activities such as, but not limited to, SIB Services and Online Content, scientific resources and related support, SIB Courses, SIB PhD Training Network, SIB Fellowship program, SIB Awards and SIB Events;
- Providing you with service administration purposes related to the service, activity or online content you have signed up for (e.g. to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service, activity or online content has been suspended for maintenance);
- Providing support for various technical and scientific activities (e.g. via the ExPASy helpdesk, support pages of various resources and SIB groups);
- Using IP addresses to identify the location of users, to block disruptive use, and to establish the number of visits from different countries;
- Internal use.
Where we consider using your personal data for other purposes, we will ensure that we notify you first. You will also be given the opportunity to withhold or withdraw your consent for the use of your personal data for purposes other than those listed above.
In the context of a job application, if you are unsuccessful, we may keep your application including your personal information on file for 12 months after you apply. After 12 months your application including your personal information will be destroyed.
4. Right to access your personal data
You are entitled to ask us anytime for information about what type of personal data about you have been collected (via on-line resources, email, etc.) and stored. You may also ask us to have your data rectified or deleted as required by applicable data protection law.
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behaviour information. The information is used to track visitor use of a website and to compile statistical reports on website activity. For further information about cookies visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org. You can set your browser not to accept cookies, and the above websites tell you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, some of our website features may not function if you remove cookies from your browser.
6. Links to other sites
SIB has implemented appropriate technical and organizational measures to ensure a level of security which we deem appropriate, taking into account the categories of data we collect and the way we process.
SIB will keep your personal data confidential. We will only disclose it if legally required or permitted, or if necessary in order to fulfil the purpose for which you have provided us your information.
8. Offensive or inappropriate content on our websites
If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content anywhere on or to our websites or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on any of our services, we may use your personal data to stop such behaviour.
Where we reasonably believe that you are or may be in breach of any of the laws of the country of origin of your IP address (e.g. because content you have posted may be defamatory), we may use your personal data to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school, email/internet provider or law enforcement agencies about the content and your behaviour.
9. Your consent
By accessing our sites or providing us your information when you contact us, you are consenting to the information collection and use practices described in this Policy.