Focus on the group's mission
The SIB Training group coordinates the institute’s bioinformatics training and course offer. Throughout its activities, it ensures that the next generation of bioinformaticians and life scientists make the best of the latest advances in computational biology.
Addressing training needs
From in-person and streamed classes to openly accessible recordings and e-learning modules, a range of regularly updated content and topics are provided. They are designed to closely match the bioinformatics training needs of all life science actors, from the academia or the private sector, including PhD students, postdoctoral researchers and health professionals. Discover all upcoming courses and stay informed, and if you need training in an area of bioinformatics that we are not currently covering, please let us know.
The Training group collaborates in pan-European and international training projects, together with the broader bioinformatics community of ELIXIR, GOBLET and ISCB. For instance, the Training group is co-leading the following projects:
- BY-COVID WP6: the work package coordinating the training and capacity-building of COVID-19 Data Hub users and data providers.
- ELIXIR-CONVERGE WP2: the work package building a programme in Data Management across ELIXIR Nodes.
- Train the trainer: the ELIXIR and GOBLET programme which empowers researchers to deliver high-quality training.
- International Society for Computational Biology’ Education Community of Special Interest (COSI) which fosters collaborations in bioinformatics education and training.
SIB Training relies on the knowledge possessed by SIB Members, as well as national and international experts to deliver world-class courses.
Training Advisory Committee
In the Training Committee, the strategic outlook and the concept of training activities are discussed and decided upon. It is composed of the SIB Group Leaders most involved in training activities, namely:
- Article: Community-driven ELIXIR activities in single-cell omics. Czarnewski P, Mahfouz A, Calogero RA et al. Community-driven ELIXIR activities in single-cell omics [version 1; peer review: awaiting peer review]. F1000Research 2022, 11(ELIXIR):869
- Article: Ten simple rules for good research practice. Simon Schwab, Perrine Janiaud, Michael Dayan, Valentin Amrhein, Radoslaw Panczak, Patricia M. Palagi, Lars G. Hemkens, Meike Ramon, Nicolas Rothen, Stephen Senn, Eva Furrer, Leonhard Held. PLoS Computational Biology, 2022 June 23.
- Article: Ten simple rules in good research practice for early career researchers. Simon Schwab, Perrine Janiaud, Michael Dayan, Valentin Amrhein, Radoslaw Panczak, Patricia Palagi, Lars M. Hemkens, Meike G. Ramon, Nicolas Rothen, Stephen Senn. 2021,OSF Preprint.
- Article: ELIXIR‐EXCELERATE: establishing Europe's data infrastructure for the life science research of the future. Jennifer Harrow, John Hancock, Niklas Blomberg, Søren Brunak, Salvador Capella‐Gutierrez, Christine Durinx, Chris T Evelo, Carole Goble, Ivo Gut, Jon Ison, Thomas Keane, Brane Leskošek, Luděk Matyska, Johanna McEntyre, Célia Miguel, Arcadi Navarro, Steven Newhouse, Tommi Nyrönen, Patricia Palagi, Bengt Persson, Cyril Pommier, Jordi Rambla, Marco Roos, Gabriella Rustici, Andrew Smith, Alfonso Valencia, Celia van Gelder, Jiri Vondrasek, Nils Peder Willassen, Juan Arenas, Helen Parkinson, Robert D Finn, Sergi Beltran, Leslie Matalonga, Hannah Hurst, Paul Kersey, Ilkka Lappalainen, Pascal Kahlem, Gary Saunders, Sirarat Sarntivijai, Rachel Drysdale, Johnathan Tedds, Jeremy Lanfear. The EMBO Journal,40, 6, e107409, 2021.
- Report: Copyright Guidelines - How to acknowledge and be acknowledged in training material. Frédéric Schütz, Clement Parisato, Valeria Di Cola, Monique Zahn, Patricia M. Palagi. 2021 November 29.
- Presentation: Making training materials FAIR experiences, challenges, solutions. Saskia Hiltemann, Anna Swan, Verena Ras, Maria Doyle, Melissa Burke, Patricia M. Palagi, Celia W.G van Gelder. 2021 July 25.
- Presentation: Open and FAIR in bioinformatics and training. Patricia M. Palagi. 2021 March, Open Science Zurich, 04 March 2021, online.
- Report: Lessons learned when moving SIB Training courses from in-person to online – anything in bioinformatics can be taught online, but not anyhow. Patricia M. Palagi. 2020 September 17.
- Article: Biocuration - mapping resources and needs. Alexandra Holinski, Melissa L. Burke, Sarah L. Morgan, Peter McQuilton, Patricia M. Palagi. 2020 September 04.
- Article: Clinical bioinformatics for microbial genomics and metagenomics: an ESCMID Postgraduate Technical Workshop. Gilbert Greub, Patricia M. Palagi, David Dylus, Adrian Egli, Trestan Pillonel, John W. A. Rossen, Helena M. B. Seth-Smith, Aitana Lebrand. 2020 August 22.
- Article: A framework to assess the quality and impact of bioinformatics training across ELIXIR. Kim T. Gurwitz, Prakash Singh Gaur, Louisa J. Bellis, Lee Larcombe, Eva Alloza, Balint Laszlo Balint, Alexander Botzki, Jure Dimec, Victoria Dominguez del Angel, Pedro L. Fernandes, Eija Korpelainen, Roland Krause, Mateusz Kuzak, Loredana Le Pera ,Brane Leskošek, Jessica M. Lindvall, Diana Marek, Paula A. Martinez, Tuur Muyldermans, Ståle Nygård, Patricia M. Palagi, Hedi Peterson, Fotis Psomopoulos, Vojtech Spiwok, Celia W. G. van Gelder, Allegra Via, Marko Vidak, Daniel Wibberg, Sarah L. Morgan, Gabriella Rustici. 2020 July 23.
- Presentation: Applying best practices to enhance bioinformatics training in Switzerland. Diana Marek, Wandrille Duchemin, Isabelle Dupanloup, Grégoire Rossier, Margaux Roulet, Frédéric Schütz, Monique Zahn, Patricia M. Palagi. 2020 July 16.
- Article: Ten simple rules for making training materials FAIR. Leyla Garcia, Bérénice Batut, Melissa L. Burke, Mateusz Kuzak, Fotis Psomopoulos, Ricardo Arcila, Teresa K. Attwood, Niall Beard, Denise Carvalho-Silva, Alexandros C. Dimopoulos, Victoria Dominguez del Angel, Michel Dumontier, Kim T. Gurwitz, Roland Krause, Peter McQuilton, Loredana Le Pera, Sarah L. Morgan, Päivi Rauste, Allegra Via, Pascal Kahlem, Gabriella Rustici, Celia W. G. van Gelder, Patricia M. Palagi. 2020 May 21
- Report: Report on training provided across the ELIXIR community. Attwood Terri, Ben-Avraham Daniel, Beard Niall, Dominguez del Angel Victoria, Fernandes Pedro, Gurwitz Kim, Kahlem Pascal, Korpelainen Eija, Leskošek Brane, Lindvall Jessica, Morgan Sarah, Nygard Stale, Palagi Patricia, Peterson Heidi, Rustici Gabriella, Sansone Susanna-A, Thurston Milo, van Gelder Celia, Via Allegra. 2019 August 23
- Presentation: FAIR Training in ELIXIR Europe. Mateusz Kuzak, Leyla García Castro, Bérénice Batut, Ricardo Arcila, Niall Beard, Melissa Burke, Denise Carvalho-Silva, Victoria Dominguez Del Angel, Kim Gurwitz, Pascal Kahlem, Paula Martinez, Sarah Morgan, Peter McQuilton, Patricia Palagi, Fotis Psomopoulos, Gabriella Rustici, Celia van Gelder. 2019 July 24.
- Presentation: ELIXIR-Training-2018-ELIXIR-CZ-Conference. Celia van Gelder, Patricia M. Palagi, Gabriella Rustici, Pascal Kahlem. 2018 November 24.
- Presentation: Challenges in adopting FAIR principles in Training. Patricia M. Palagi, Pascal Kahlem, Gabriela Rustici, Celia W. G. van Gelder. 2018 October 29.
- Article: A new pan-European Train-the-Trainer programme for bioinformatics: pilot results on feasibility, utility and sustainability of learning. Allegra Via, Teresa K. Attwood, Pedro L. Fernandes, Sarah L. Morgan, Maria Victoria Schneider, Patricia M. Palagi, Gabriella Rustici, Rochelle E. Tractenberg. 2017 September 26.
- Article: The ELIXIR-EXCELERATE Train-the-Trainer pilot programme: empower researchers to deliver high-quality training . Sarah L. Morgan, Patricia M. Palagi, Pedro L. Fernandes, Eija Koperlainen, Jure Dimec, Diana Marek, Lee Larcombe, Gabriella Rustici, Teresa K. Attwood, Allegra Via. 2017 August 24.
- Article: Developing a strategy for computational lab skills training through Software and Data Carpentry: Experiences from the ELIXIR Pilot action. Aleksandra Pawlik, Celia W.G. van Gelder, Aleksandra Nenadic, Patricia M. Palagi, Eija Korpelainen, Philip Lijnzaad, Diana Marek, Susanna-Assunta Sansone, John Hancock, Carole Goble. 2017 Jun 03.
- Article: BioCIDER: a Contextualisation InDEx for biological Resources discovery. Carlos Horro, Martin Cook, Teresa K. Attwood, Michelle D. Brazas, John M. Hancock, Patricia M. Palagi, Manuel Corpas, Rafael Jimenez. Bioinformatics. 2017 Apr 12. doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btx213.
- Conference poster: GOBLET Standards Committee: best practices and standards in bioinformatics and biocuration. Maria Victoria Schneider, Teresa K. Attwood, Manuel Corpas, Mike Charleston, Saravanan Dayalan, Pascale Gaudet, Judit Kumuthini, Sarah Morgan, Patricia M. Palagi, Gabriella Rustici. ISB 2017 Mar.
- Report: Defining a lingua franca for the ELIXIR/GOBLET e-learning ecosystem. Teresa K. Attwood, Brane Leskosek, Jure Dimec, Sarah Morgan, Nicola Mulder, Celia W. van Gelder, Patricia M. Palagi. 2016 Nov 13.
- Report: Report on the training needs identified across the ELIXIR community. Celia van Gelder, Sarah Morgan, Allegra Via, Rita Hendricusdottir, Eija Korpelainen, Chris Ponting, Terri Attwood, Patricia Palagi. 2016 Sep 2.
- Article: The SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics' resources: focus on curated databases. SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics Members. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016 Jan 4;44(D1):D27-37. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkv1310. Epub 2015 Nov 28.
- Article: GOBLET: The Global Organisation for Bioinformatics Learning, Education and Training
Teresa K. Atwood, Erik Bongcam-Rudloff, Michelle E. Brazas, Manuel Corpas, Pascale Gaudet, Fran Lewitter, Nicola Mulder, Patricia M. Palagi, Maria Victoria Schneider, Celia W. G. van Gelder, and the GOBLET Consortium. PLoS Computational Biology 04/2015; 11(4):e1004143. DOI:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1004143
View our group members here