What do we do?
The SIB Technology group is in charge of optimizing the coordination of all SIB technology-related activities. The group works in close cooperation with technology and infrastructure providers and competence centres such as Vital-IT/Swiss-Prot and sciCORE to combine forces wherever necessary and practical. Additionally, the group advises SIB on technology-related matters.
The group collaborates with SIB and its groups to develop and operate scientific (incl. ExPASy.org), training (with SIB Training) and operations software (mainly web applications). It relies on infrastructure support of the Vital-IT and sciCORE groups. A specific focus was put on web application testing and monitoring which has been put in place for several SIB resources. Additionally, the group supported major SIB-organised events such as Biocuration 2016 and the EPD Symposium. Furthermore, to stimulate technical knowledge exchange between SIB groups, a few SIB-internal technical events took place in various cities in Switzerland.
The following collaborative co-developments projects were done:
- Beacon interface extension and implementation on top of arrayMap.org: in collaboration with the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH) and the group of Michael Baudis (Zurich).
- MetaPIGA: developed a web application on top of the MetaPIGA command line tool with the group of Michel Milinkovitch (Geneva) running on Vital-IT resources.
Main publications 2016
- Durinx C, McEntyre J, Appel R, Apweiler R, Barlow M, Blomberg N, Cook C, Gasteiger E, Kim JH, Lopez R, Redaschi N, Stockinger H, Teixeira D, Valencia A. Identifying ELIXIR Core Data Resources. F1000 Res. 2016;30;5. pii: ELIXIR-2422.
- Ison J, Rapacki K, Ménager H, Kalaš M, Rydza E, Chmura P, et al. Tools and data services registry: a community effort to document bioinformatics resources. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44(D1):D38-47
- Artimo P, Duvaud S, Pachkov M et al. The ISMARA client [version 1; referees: awaiting peer review]. F1000Research 2016, 5(ELIXIR):2851