The Board of Directors (BoD) takes all the decisions necessary to achieve the aims of the Institute, e.g. defines the scientific strategy and internal procedures, and allocates federal funds to service and infrastructure activities. It consists of two Group Leaders elected jointly by the Council of Group Leaders and the BoD; two external members elected by the Foundation Council on the recommendation of the BoD; and the Executive Director. The BoD members are appointed for a renewable five-year period.
- Prof. Manuel Peitsch (Chairman), Vice President for Biological Systems Research at Philip Morris International (PMI);
- Martine Brunschwig Graf, Former National Councillor;
- Prof. Ron Appel, SIB Executive Director and University of Geneva;
- Prof. Christian von Mering, SIB Group Leader and University of Zurich;
- Prof. Torsten Schwede, SIB Group Leader and University of Basel.